Saturday, April 7, 2012

Washington County

Since I have been to Washington County and the county seat in Brenham Texas many times over my life, I felt I should include it in my blog as soon as possible. What better time than now, at Easter weekend when a lot of you will be driving through there just to catch even a short look at the blue bonnets. It is a pleasure to see the land and wild flowers and smell the fresh green lush fields that make up this beautiful panorama of Texas landscape. From the Brazos river and Chappel Hill then on up to the Washington on the Brazos Park and Independence and over to Burton there is nothing quite like it. Wow! That's what I say, It will simply wow you. If you can't get out to see this amazing display of wild flowers I hope in some small way my photo page will convey what it's like to drive through this county.

Washington county was founded in 1836 and of course is know for the convention of 1836 where the Texas Declaration of Independence was signed. Do yourself a big favor and take at least a whole day to visit the Washington on the Brazos State Park. It is very interesting and there is a lot to see. The Texas  museum and the special movies and programs are really great. Then there is the restored building where the actual declaration of Independence was signed and also on the grounds is a restored farm doing the every day chores of early Texas settlers. This part is a must see, complete with the house, barns, oxen, chickens, gardens, cattle and everything you would imagine like tools and old farm implements. The reenactment is very interesting to see and the actors are very knowledgeable of the time period. Then if that's not enough, you can stroll the grounds down to the Brazos river and enjoy the picnic grounds surrounded by huge old pecan trees and oak trees, with plenty of benches and tables or just spread out a blanket on the ground. There is a location on the Brazos that points out the old river crossing where the ferry use to be. And the sign describes the panic of people trying to cross the river before Santa Anna and his troops could trap them on the wrong side of the river. I can just imagine how terrifying that could have been.

Washington county is not a large county in size but it does cover 621 square miles. It has had fairly steady growth since the 1980's at about 15% every ten years when the census is taken. The 2010 census was down a little and showed only a 11% increase with a population at 33,718. I mentioned that the county seat of Washington county was Brenham and I should have added that the Washington county courthouse was in Brenham. Blinn junior college is well know and respected in Brenham and I have known many good friends of mine that started out at Blinn college. Washington county and Brenham Texas are also home to that wonderful company we all know as Blue Bell Ice Cream. I myself would not miss an opportunity to take the Blue Bell factory tour as often as I could. Why just last summer I had the pleasure of taking the tour with my grand children and it was great! I always have a hard time making up my mind between homemade vanilla or chocolate. So I usually end up getting them both. Yum! Do yourself a favor and go this year. You will love it. And go have a picnic on the Brazos river at the park while your at it.

Reference link   http://en.wikipedia.org/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment